COVID-19 Suspension of In-Person Therapy Services
Update March 31, 2020
Pan Am Rehabilitation Services is extending our suspension of in-person physiotherapy services until April 14.
We are still here for you! We are offering telerehabilitation and our therapists are finding it to be a beneficial option for many of our patients. Scroll down for more information.
Under Order 5 (2), the new public health order issued by the Government of Manitoba on March 30 states that “any authorized health professional may provide urgent or emergent care.”
Given the lack of specific definition of what constitutes urgent and emergent care, we are going to adopt these criteria:
1) In the absence of physiotherapy services, the patient will require services in an emergency department setting (i.e. severe pain).
2) The patient is an essential service provider (i.e. health care worker, first responder) who is unable to work due to an acute injury or exacerbation of a pre-existing injury.
3) The patient is seeking services related to a recent surgery or removal of a cast/immobilizer.
4) In the absence of physiotherapy services, the patient’s functional status will deteriorate to the point of requiring hospitalization in the foreseeable future.
If you feel you meet the above criteria, please give us a call at 204.927.2660 to discuss your options. Each physiotherapist must assess whether the risk of not providing services outweighs the risks of exposing the physiotherapist, staff and/or the patient to COVID-19.
Safety Protocols for In-Person Physiotherapy:
1) Patients are hard-stopped and screened at the front door of the Pan Am Clinic for risk factors related to COVID-19.
2) No visitors are allowed to accompany a patient unless it is the parent of a minor or an escort for a person with a disability.
3) Masks and gloves will be provided for the safety of the therapist. Patients who feel they require a mask should stay at home.
4) Physical distancing should be maintained as much as possible between therapist and patient, and between other treating therapists and patients.
5) Full sanitation of treatment space will be performed after the treatment session finishes with facility approved cleaners and wet contact times observed.
6) We discourage payments by cash.
New Service - Telerehabilitation
1) What is telerehabilitation?
See Telerehabilitation in Physiotherapy Patient Information
2) Am I a candidate for telerehab?
Please read Telerehabilitation in Physiotherapy Patient Information. If you are unsure, please call us. We will connect you with your therapist who will help determine if you are a suitable candidate for this service.
3) How does it work?
We will be using a combination of Medeo Secure Messaging and Zoom.
If you do not already have a Medeo account, you will receive an email requesting you to create an account to view messages. Shared Health has approved this secure method of communicating about your healthcare matters. Your PHIN and date of birth are required to connect with the electronic medical records at the Pan Am Clinic. You will receive print communications via Medeo. These could include your home exercises, referrals, letters for work, invoices and receipts.
All verbal communication, both video and audio, will occur through Zoom.
4) What equipment do I need?
You can use your mobile device or computer for your telerehab sessions. Please download the Zoom App to enable quick connection at the time of your call and enable camera access.
5) How do I book?
We encourage you to book online
You can also call us at 204.927.2660.
6) How much does it cost?
Treatment $70 (standard booking time 30 minutes)
7) Is it covered by insurance?
As of March 27, we have confirmed that telerehab is covered by SunLife, Great West Life, Green Shield, and Manitoba Blue Cross.
Blue Cross Federal Programs: CAF pending.
MPI will cover telerehab for new and active claims.
WCB Effective March 26 – April 26
New Claims: One initial assessment and up to four subsequent treatments at a frequency of not more than 1x/week.
Active Claims: A maximum of one subsequent treatment/week up to four weeks.
8) How do I pay?
We are happy to accept payment via credit card or pre-paid credit card and e-transfer. We are not able to process visa debit or debit card payments.
9) Can I receive telerehab if I am in another province or country?
No. Both you and your therapist need to be in Manitoba at the time of the telerehab session.
10) I just want to talk to my physio with a few quick questions. Do I need to book an official session?
If asked to give medical advice, your therapist is offering you the same time, attention, advice and professional guidance that they would during an in-patient session (within certain physical limitations). Your therapist is operating under their professional licensure requirements and cannot provide medical advice unless done so through proper medico legal channels. If you have specific medical questions for your therapist book a telerehab session.
11) What if I have further questions or feedback?
Please call us at 204.927.2660 and we will be more than happy to answer your questions. Given this is a new service, we also welcome suggestions for improvement as well. Your feedback is important to us!
Treatment & Rehabilitation
Who We Are
Our therapists provide treatment and rehabilitation for individuals with musculoskeletal injuries and conditions. Pan Am Rehabilitation Services is committed to leading-edge, evidence-based musculoskeletal rehabilitation and treatment, research, education and community involvement.
Janine Didyk, Physiotherapist I have a 3 year old son and an 8 year old daughter...
Jason Maksymowycz, Physiotherapist In light of the recent COVID-19 pandemic, many of us have been fortunate...
Mark Beatty, Physiotherapist We are all trying to adjust to new day to day routines in...